Thursday, December 23, 2010

Brain Freeze!

One of the things people warned me about before I moved to Sackville was the wind. I was worried about getting used to the cold and the snow, and everyone said that cold and snow alone would be no problem, that it would be the wind that would get me. So far there hasn't been much snow, although it has been very cold on a few days. And the wind is DEFINITELY the worst part of the weather here.

The two worst experiences I have had were Sunday and Tuesday of this week when I walked the dog in the morning. Both days I was reasonably bundled up with a toque on my head and things were going just fine until I turned into the wind or rounded a corner into the wind. Both times my face and head were blasted by an icy wind that felt exactly the same as having a brain freeze from drinking a slurpee too fast. Except it wouldn't go away until I was completely out of the wind. It was so painful!  In all my years of skiing and snowboarding, I have never felt anything like that. I guess when I am on a mountain on a cold and blistery day, I cover my whole face and have googles and stuff. I think I need to invest in a balaclava if I want to make it through this winter.

2 comments:

  1. A Balaclava can make a big difference! I find the syrup tends to get in my hair if the temperature isn't below freezing. It's surprising how those layers and layers of really thin sheets of Phyllo can be so insulating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllo does have some amazing properties.

    ReplyDelete