Monday, August 23, 2010

Vegetarian eats crab. Hilarity ensues.

I just returned from a glorious two days in one of my favorite places on earth. One of my favourite rituals when I visit the west coast is to go to my aunt's place on Vancouver Island. She has a beautiful home that overlooks a bay, and she and her partner ensure that I am well fed and extremely relaxed.

I had eaten crab here once before when I was still eating meat, but that was my only previous crab experience. Every Friday in the summer they like to go down to the wharf in Nanaimo and get some fresh caught crab for dinner. Because the crab lived happy lives up until they are caught, I felt like this was an acceptable animal to eat. I forgot, however, how difficult it is to eat crab legs. Here is my lovely crab resting peacefully on my plate.


My aunt was very excited and took many pictures of me preparing to begin the eating of the crab.


Don't I look apprehensive? It took me probably about 5 minutes just to crack into the first one. I just couldn't get the cracker thingy to work. I remembered that the previous time, I had gotten quite skilled at the removal of the meat from the legs, but I couldn't remember what technique I had used. When I asked my delightful hosts to share their secrets, they just laughed and told me not to rush.



I look happy here, but most of the 70 minute eating of the crab consisted of me furrowing my brow and saying, "WHY IS THIS SO HARD????"


Although it took me forever, and each morsel was barely a taste on my tongue, I would say that overall this frustrating experience was pretty delicious. And I think I will do it again next summer.

2 comments: