Saturday, August 7, 2010

The (lack of) customer service Pt 2

One evening, D and I went into Moncton to get some stuff at Home Depot. We decided to grab some fast food because we are broke, and encountered what is becoming the signature lack of customer service in our region. We decided to go to Wendy's because it satisfies my needs as a vegetarian and D's needs for spicy chicken sandwiches. We went into a Wendy's in north Moncton, and both of us had to pee. Thus began our exposure to the most disgusting bathrooms outside of a truck stop. I had to pee SO BAD, so I had no choice, and the bathroom smelled so strongly of pee that I gagged the entire time I was relieving myself. Apparently the men's bathroom was equally as disgusting. The whole experience turned us off the thought of eating there, so we decided to go to Tim Hortons. Pretty much the only food item Tim Horton's serves, besides doughnuts, is sandwiches. Unfortunately, when I ordered my sandwich, I was told they were out of bread! At a place where they bake bread and doughnuts on a regular basis! This wouldn't have been as annoying if the exact same thing hadn't happened at a different Tim Horton's location a week earlier. Clearly there is a running-out-of-bread epidemic that needs to be addressed. We ended up at A & W, which was also filthy, and there were two people working the cash registers, and one guy just standing there staring into space. I think his job was to fetch the soft drinks, but I only saw him do that once. The rest of the time was just spent staring. Even when I told him that the ketchup dispenser was out of ketchup, he just sort of stared at me, and certainly did not attend to the ketchup.

When we walked in to A & W, there was no one in line ahead of us, but there were about 8 people waiting for food. We both ordered veggie burgers and were told that those might take a couple of minutes because no one ever orders them. Twenty minutes later, we had our food. I have officially decided that there is no such thing as fast food in this area of the world.

And don't even get me started on the town coffee shop. I have never seen such slow moving, high-on-pot-looking people. The coffee shop does have good coffee, good food, and a cool atmosphere that reminds me of Austin coffee shops, so I keep going back, but ordering anything more than regular coffee there takes absurd amounts of time. Ds mom commented while she was here, that no one else seems to mind waiting in the long line just to order and then waiting for 10 minutes for their drink to be made. Maybe we are just jerks.

No comments:

Post a Comment