Monday, September 6, 2010

Impromptu road trip!

Last night, I noticed on Facebook that a fair maid was in need of some electrical work. She lives almost 2 hours from Sackville right beside the Fundy National Park (Aside: I was recently informed that while everyone else says Fundy as it is spelled, Newbies say "Funday.") Now Sackville is also on the Bay of Fundy, but not the good part. There are no beaches in Sackville and the views, while pleasant, are not breathtaking. For those who don't know, the Bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world, which is what draws people from all over the world to see it. I have been dying to go visit Jane and to explore Fundy park, so I offered D's electrical services for this morning. Shameless plug for D's company here: http://www.onsiteelectrical.ca/

First of all, the drive from Sackville to Alma is the official Scenic Fundy Drive that basically involves all the way up and all the way back down an arm of the Bay of Fundy. Although it is totally inefficient, the views of the water and the hills and the trees and the mud made up for it. We arrived at the fabulous Cleveland Place B & B shortly after 10 am, with Nova in tow. D was able to remedy the electrical issues in about 15 minutes while I chatted with Jane, and then me, D, and Nova were off to explore. I didn't think to bring my camera when leaving the house, and it wasn't until about half way through the trip that it dawned on us to take pictures with our cell phones, so most of what we saw is undocumented.

We began with an easy little jaunt just off the highway that was a loop through moose and beaver territory. We saw a couple of beavers, but alas, no moose. We really wanted to see a waterfall, but we didn't want to work too hard for it, so we found one that was not too much of a hike off the road. It was very cool to see, and I wish I had a picture of it to share, but unfortunately the picture is only in my head. I guess people will just have to visit me so that I can show them in person.

Next we drove to the end of a road that took us to Point Wolfe. This is where I realized that I could, in fact, take pictures. We stopped just outside of a covered bridge to snap this shot, which was only just the beginning of the awesomeness.


We drove down the road until it ended, parked and then walked through one of the trails where we were delighted with this view.


On the way into Alma, the bay looked to be at a fairly high tide. Here it must have been on its way out. (I am mostly guessing because I have no idea.) We could see people down on the beach on the right, and decided that it was time to dip our toes in the water. So we headed down.

Almost there:


Beach!


Nova had her first ocean experience. I don't think she could tell the difference as she still gulped down the water like crazy and then barfed it back up just like he does when we take her to the lake.


And just so I could say I did it, I stuck my feet in that freezing cold water!


I loved being at the beach, but definitely did not love having to climb all the way back up...

On the way home we took the extra-scenic route down Hwy 915, where we detoured to Cape Enrage, which definitely lived up to the hype in the tourist brochures. It was an amazing view and we could even see blue water beyond all the brown, which made it seem like the real ocean. It was also damn windy, and damn cold, so we did not stay very long.

Thanks to Jane for all the destination recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment