Sunday, July 24, 2011

More adventures in PEI

In addition to our beach adventures in PEI, we also visited the Anne of Green Gables house, which is definitely a total tourist trap, but fun to see for those of us raised on Anne of Green Gables books, movies, and TV shows (Road to Avonlea, anyone?)  We didn't stay very long. Just long enough to check out the house:






Drink some Raspberry Cordial


And turn dad into our personal rickshaw driver





I also got to fulfill my life long dream of visiting the Cows factory on PEI.


And of course, PEI is all about the seafood. Particularly the mussels and the lobster. When we arrived back to the house where we were staying, our hosts had finished cooking up a giant pile of lobsters that were fresh caught that day.



Having never seen an entire lobster up close and personal before, I had to inspect them closer.


And closer...


And I concluded that they are ugly, creepy little bottom-dwellers. I do have a policy, however, that I will sample the local cuisine while traveling, so I had my first ever taste of lobster. The process of extracting the meat was long and laborious, but not as frustrating as my previous experience with crab. And the meat was good, mostly because it was saturated in garlic butter, but I don't see what all the fuss is about and why these freaky things are considered a delicacy. In fact, the Islanders we were staying with told us that when they were in school, lobster was the cuisine of the poor people on the Island. All the poor kids would be teased for bringing lobster sandwiches to school. I guess it is their rarity in other parts of the world that makes them so expensive everywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment