Friday, June 11, 2010

So, I guess I am a Newbie now

So, I have officially lived in the lovely province of New Brunswick for approximately 2 days. Since I am currently living in a hotel and really have nothing better to do, I decided to start a blog. My plan is for this to be about my experience adapting to life her in NB, and the oddities I experience here. I did this when I first moved to Texas (which can be found here http://lisadawn462.spaces.live.com) and was able to keep it up for about a year and a half. Let's see how this one goes.

I moved here for a faculty position in psychology at a small university, and I am thrilled to bits about my new job. I just completed my Ph.D. at the University of Texas at Austin, and I am already homesick for Austin, which adds to my homesickness for Vancouver, which is where I was born and raised. So, I have lived on the west coast, the "third coast" and now on the east coast.

I am beginning my life in New Brunswick harbouring (<--- look, I am allowed to spell like a Canadian again) the following stereotypes: 1) East coasters are really, really nice 2) French and English people don't hate each other here 3) Life will be nice and slow and more enjoyable. We shall see how these preconceived notions hold up. I will post about the road trip from Texas to New Brunswick soon, but for now, I will leave you with a few pictures about what I love (and miss) about Austin.

This is what my folks, and I saw downtown Austin after my graduation - A rat riding a cat riding a dog.


This was taken at Eeyore's birthday this year - It's Leslie's butt. Leslie is Austin's most famous homeless transvestite.

On a more serious note, I really, really miss my friends in Austin. And my friends and family in B.C. Starting over sucks.

5 comments:

  1. i miss austin so much, but i promise (comforting or not) it gets a little easier! i think us canadians are not used to going somewhere for school, then leaving, whereas our US friends are more so used to it, cause thats what is expected of them. little do they know we dont adjust as well! ;)

    laura b

    ReplyDelete
  2. and also you are like a ten hour drive to nyc, omfg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I know. I doubt I would drive there though. That would be scary. And expensive to park! Maybe I will drive to Boston and then take a train or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a bus from Boston to NYC - the Fung-wah, it goes from Chinatown to Chinatown and costs $15. It's also the scariest ride you will ever take in your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 15$ !!@!@ how is that possible, also sounds terrifying

    ReplyDelete