Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Style crisis

I desperately need a hair cut. And a visit to the esthetician to keep my Hamilton eyebrow under control. But I am afraid of what might happen to me if I get beauty treatments up here in New Brunswick. I know that sounds horrifically snobby, and I am sure anyone who lives in New Brunswick and sees this will tell me I am ridiculous. And it is ridiculous because I am certainly not very stylish myself, but I don't want to be meeting new people rocking a mullet and red splotches all over my face from a bad wax job. I am not basing my fears on anything real or anyone I know (although one of my neighbors has a serious mullet). My fears are mostly derived from the show Trailer Park Boys, which is actually based out of Nova Scotia. But it is rural, and it is in the Maritimes, and people look like this:


My fears also stem from the decor in some of the houses we saw in the real estate listings. Flowered wallpaper, flowered couches, and wood panelling abound. It is like people are in a time warp to the 70s and early 80s and not in a cool, vintage way, but in a scary, it-wasn't-even-fashionable-then way.

I am going to ask for recommendations from people I know. And I am sure it will be fine. I just wanted to express my concern in case I do end up with a mullet, so you will know it was not my choice. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm probably the last person to give beauty advice--I visit the Saint John beautician school for my days of pampering and improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, I would go there if you recommended it, although I am not sure if it would be worth the 2 hour drive every time I needed a trim.

    Jenni, no.

    ReplyDelete